IL License 227.006987
Certifications Besides Massage
In January 2014, I tested and received the status of EBQ TM Certified Instructor and EBT TM Certified Instructor from Grandmaster Yang Yang, PhD of the Center for Taiji & Qigong Studies.
In March 2013, I was invited by Lolita Knight to join her group of certified instructors for Olympic Massage NCBTMB # 307-802-00.
In business since 2006, I studied Massage Therapy at Parkland College in Champaign. I have lived in Champaign-Urbana since 1983, and formerly had a career in IT. Combined with a lifelong interest in mind-body-spirit and traditional healing practices, including yoga and taiji, my passion for bodywork is fueled by the pursuit of the best techniques and approaches for balancing the body to prevent pain.
Early on, I was fortunate enough to find a kindred spirit in Laura Kalman, the owner of Studio Helix (the personal training studio in which my practice is housed). Her engineering-based approach to medical exercise has certainly impacted my own understanding of how the body works when it functions at peak, and how the body heals and remodels. Working together with Laura, often tag-teaming sessions, we have learned a great deal about how well bodywork and medical exercise dovetail.
The trouble-shooting skills and engineering perspective I developed in my former career certainly make a big difference in my ability to discover the problem patterns “written” in the muscles and fascia.
Targeted Knotwork for Musculoskeletal Pain Debugging is my own blend of modalities. With an ultimate aim of preventing musculoskeletal pain and improving function by balancing the tensional elements in the body’s musculoskeletal system (the myofasciae), a variety of techniques (including direct myofascial release, frictioning, positional release, trigger point work, and cupping) are used to lengthen, loosen and unstick stiff and painful areas of the body. You can see in the list below, specific workshops that have contributed to the development of this blend.
I have also invested in training to perfect my skills in massage for stress management and preventive wellness. Techniques from the many ethnic styles I have studied give my full-body massage and short wellness breaks a very unique flavor.
- Practical Lymphatic Drainage (Feb 2007) from Ishman Bodycare Center and Institute
- Orthopedic Massage 1 (March 2007) from OMERI (Orthopedic Massage Education and Research Institute (Whitney Lowe)
Evaluation and treatment of disorders of the back, neck, and pelvis
- Weekend Massage Intensive (April 2007) from Esalen Institute at Big Sur, CA (Brita Ostrom and David Streeter)
- Precision Neuromuscular Therapy for the Mystery of Pain (May 2007) from NMT Midwest,Inc.
- Clinical Sports Massage: Rotator Cuff and Shoulder Dysfunction (May 2007) from Cortiva Institute, Chicago School of Massage Therapy
- Lymphatic Drainage Practicum (October 2007) from Ishman Bodycare Center and Institute
- Myofascial Release I (March 2008) from National Myofascial Release Seminars (John F. Barnes, P.T.)
Myofascial Release and Cranial/Sacral Techniques
- Integrated Neuromuscular Re-Education: Muscle Energy Therapy and Positional Release (March 2008) from Cross Country Education (Teresa Schmidt)
- Posterior and Advanced Fijian Massage (June 2008) from Lolita Knight
- Indian Head Massage (June 2008) from Lolita Knight
- Chinese Facial Massage (June 2008) from Lolita Knight
- Greenstone Massage and Other Massage Tools (June 2008) from Lolita Knight
- Ethics and Standard V (November 2008)
- Ortho-Bionomy Basic (Phase 4): The Extremities (March 2009) from Darlene Smith
- Mayan Massage (June 2009) from Tamara Felix
- World Massage Conference (November 2009, June 2010, November 2010)
- Better Belly Health: Self Care (September 2010) from Chris Hughes
- Myoskeletal Alignment Techniques (October 2010) from Erik Dalton
Neck, Lumbar and Leg Pain... tuning the spinal engine!
- Russian Advanced Sports Massage (March 2011) from Oleg Bouimer
- Evidence-Based Traditional Taiji (August 2011) from Yang Yang
- Massage Cupping Bodywork Therapy (March 2012) from Anita Shannon, ACE Massage Cupping (I was trained hands on in fire cupping by Tamara Felix in June 2009)
- Indian Champissage (March 2012) from M. Susan Walsh, Washington DC Centre of Indian Champissage, authorized by The London Centre of Indian Champissage Internatlonal, Kundan Mehta, Director
- Tensegrity: Resiliance in the Human Body (February 2013) Webinar with Tom Myers, Anatomy Trains
- Panoramic Deep Tissue Massage (March 2013) from Lolita Knight
- Hand and Foot Reflexology (March 2013) from Lolita Knight
- World Massage Conference (June 2013)
- Evidence-Based Traditional Taiji (September 2013) from Yang Yang
- Qi Gong for Health, Healing and Longevity (January 2014) from Taoist Arts Center
- Qi Fit (February 2014) from Zen Wellness
- American Massage Therapy Association Illinois Chapter Conference (March 2015)
including Professional Development for Educators, Email Marketing, ROM Assessments, Clinical Thai Bodywork, Massage Ethics and Feldenkrais Self-Care
- Dermoneuromodulation (May 2015) from Diane Jacobs, PT
- Spontaneous Muscle Release Technique (SMRT): Hips, Lower Back & Abdomen (February 2016) from Dawn Lewis
- American Massage Therapy Association Illinois Chapter Conference (April 2016)
including Sports Massage: Developing a Session Plan with Steve Jurch and Healthcare Communication and Massage Therapy with Brent Jackson